January 6, 2009

Saturated Fat

My daughter drinks soy milk. Now that she is off of soy formula and breastmilk she is not getting any saturated fat in her diet. Traditionally pediatricians recommend switching to whole cow's milk (3.25% milkfat) at one year (or after weaning). One cup of whole milk containes 5g of saturated fat, soy milk has none. Typically a one-year-old should be getting 16-24oz of cow's milk each day. That would be 10-15g of saturated fat daily. So my new challenge is to get enough saturated (and other) fats into my daughter's diet.

Here are some sources I have found so far. The next trick is getting my daughter to actually eat them.
  • Avocado, 1 cup cubed 3g
  • Coconut oil, 1 oz 24g
  • Olive oil, 1 oz 4g
  • Sunbutter, 2TBS 2g
  • Earth Balance spread, 1TBS 3.5g
  • Tofutti cream cheese, 2 TBS 2g

I hope to use coconut oil in baked goods...we will see what works and I will post more as I find more. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No comments: