March 13, 2009

My plan...I think

So, there is very little good research and conflicting research regarding the possibility of passing specific food proteins to your unborn child and thereby, increasing (or decreasing) the risk of food allergies. My conclusion is that genetics and a family history of asthma, allergies, and food allergies seem to be more contributory to the likelihood of food allergies in a child, not what the mother eats or doesn't eat.



That knowledge, combined with the recommendations of both my daughter's pediatrician and allergy doctor, I now have a plan. For now, I will eat a normal, diverse diet that includes all of the top eight food allergies but in moderation. For example, I no longer drink regular milk (although that is because it upsets my stomach) but I do eat cheese. Closer to my due date, I will eliminate all pure forms of milk and eggs so that those proteins will not be in my breast milk once the baby arrives. I will eat baked goods that have milk and eggs in them, but as I do not make these at home it will only be a minimal amount.



Once the new baby arrives, I will continue my milk and egg-free diet for 1-2 months. If the baby has no signs (our daughter had severe gas, eczema, and acid reflux) or problems then I will add the eliminated items back into my diet one at a time and look for changes. Hopefully, I will not have to go through a complete elimination diet again. So, only about 15 weeks left to eat whatever I want. Anybody have any cheesecake handy??? LOL

1 comment:

Karen said...

Sounds like a plan!