March 26, 2009

Wednesday Lunch

Every Wednesday I make the exact same thing for lunch. We have soy macaroni and cheese mixed with tuna and peas. Tuna noodle casserole is and was an absolute favorite of mine but I have had to modify it a bit to make is dairy-free. The original recipe has cream of mushroom soup and I have not found a good alternative for that, so we just used boxed mac and cheese instead. We use Road's End Organics 123'z & Chreese. I find that it comes out much creamier if I use 1/2 cup soy milk and 1/2 tablespoon soy margarine instead of the 1/4 cup soy milk that is recommended.

For a complete list of the other products that they carry (all are dairy-free) click here. The list includes several type of macaroni and cheese, gravy mixes, and nacho cheese dip.

4 comments:

Wardenstuff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Autumn said...

You can make your own cream of mushroom soup using rice milk (or soy, if that's what you prefer...but I find it has a milder taste with rice milk). All you have to do is sautee a handful of mushrooms (fresh or canned work fine), add margarine and flour to make a roux, and add the rice milk once it's cooked down a bit so it doesn't taste too "flour-y." Simmer until thickened, and you can substitute it in any recipe that calls for cream soups. This also works for other cream soups such as chicken, celery, etc.

the stewarts said...

Hi Maleah! I've just stumbled onto your blog and will be back to visit! I have a 3yr old daughter with multiple food allergies (wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, chocolate, strawberries, peas, and eggs). Just last Christmas, we did 2 separate challeges her with egg and wheat. She's grown out of the egg allergy (YAY!!) but wheat is still a problem. Anyway, just wanted to leave a quick "hello" -- I'll be back!

Maleah said...

Thank you Stewarts. Be sure to check out the other great allergy blogs linked off of my site.