June 5, 2009

I need your help!

My little peanut is currently sick and is on antibiotics for red and irritated sore throat. Because of her sore throat she is not eating well and has lost a little bit of weight. She is already very under-weight and I need to fatten her back up. I am looking for allergy-friendly fattening recipes. Please share!!!

Also, I bought the soy version of 'pediasure' which is a high calorie soy drink. I believe that it is called Bright Start Soy Drink. I has 237 calories/8 oz as compared to regular soy milk which is 100 calories/8 oz. My thought was that I would add some to her soy milk that she drinks right before bed to increase her calorie consumption. She WILL NOT drink it! I have even tried hiding it in her favorite smoothie drink and she won't drink the smoothie. Any creative ways to hide this fat soy milk? Thanks! Maleah

5 comments:

Karen said...

My understanding is that when you loose weight due to illness it usually takes twice as long to gain it back if one is under weight.

If it took her a week to loose three pounds it "should" take her two weeks to gain back that three pounds.

You could put fat soy milk in mashes potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Sorry she's sick :(

Have you tried coconut milk? 1/4 cup has 120 calories and 10 grams of fat. If you blend coconut milk with frozen mango, a banana, and some avocado (tons of calories) then you have a pretty calorie-heavy (and tasty) smoothie.

--Monica

Maleah said...

Thank you for the suggestions!

Great idea on using straight coconut milk. I do add coconut oil to her oatmeal in the morning. And I also use coconut milk icecream in her smoothies. Plus I have never thought about putting avocado in a smoothie either.

I don't think that the 'fat' soy milk would work in the mashed potatoes though. It is really sweet tasting.

Cassie Clark said...

Hi, My son is 13 months old and has a milk allergy. I wanted to ask what the significance of coconut milk/oil is? Does it have health benefits?

Maleah said...

Yes, for us it does. Generally kids are weaned from breastmilk or formula to whole cow's milk. Whole cow's milk is high in saturated fat which is important for brain development. Soy milk is naturally high in protein but low in fat. I give my daughter things with high fats such as coconut oil, coconut milk, olive oil. avocadoes, etc to help supplement the saturated fat in her diet. I don't do it regulary just as I can though. Plus my daughter is under weight and Ifigure that a little extra fat couldn't hurt.