September 17, 2009

Elmination Diet- More Results

My elimination diet has been at a standstill for the past week. Baby E is much improved, not gassy, not fussy, no belly problems, and sleeping great. However, her poop is still green and mucousy (should be yellow and seedy). This is a sign of diarrhea is a breastmilk fed baby.

There are 3 commons causes for green poop.
1. Food allergy/sensitivity- most commons causes are milk and soy
2. Foremilk/hindmilk imbalance- if the baby is not fully emptying the breast with each feeding then the baby gets too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. The hindmilk is higher in calorie/fat.
3. Virus- would be self-limiting.

I have been very aware of how baby E eats and I make sure that she empties the breast completely before moving to the next one. If she doesn't, then she starts on that same side at her next feeding. Therefore, I don't think that this is a problem. For more info on this cause go to http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

So I have to think that is is something that I am eating. So I eliminated wheat again, changed my chicken consumption to turkey, and have simplified the fruit intake to just apples, pears, and bananas. So far this has helped some. Baby E is sleeping even better and going to bed earlier but this might just be her age. So I will keep this up for another week or so and then decide what to do next.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I just found your blog and it has been helpful and encouraging. I am in the process of eliminating foods for my 8 week old and it is slow going and I've had a hard time coming up with what I could eat.

Maleah said...

Good luck with everything!!! I have found that dairy and soy are the most common followed by wheat and eggs. Also avoid chocolate, caffeine, super spicy foods, and gassy vegetables just at first.