December 28, 2009

PF Chang's China Bistro

PF Chang's has been amazingly accommodating with my food allergy requests. Very few items on the menu have milk in them so that one is easy. They have a specific gluten-free menu, so again that one is easy. Peanuts, soy, and eggs are common ingredients and are harder to avoid. However, I have easily found items to eat with each.

I just let my server know what ingredients that I am avoiding due to allergy. He or she alerts the kitchen and the restaurant manager visits our table. He or she then personally goes over then menu with me pointing out safe options. When the food is delivered to the table, my dish comes out on a special plate that does not match the others. This alerts the staff that the dish is allergy-friendly.

With my older daughter, I did not eat milk, egg, or peanuts. I usually ordered lettuce wraps and crispy honey shrimp or orange peel shrimp. Both shrimp dishes had to be made specially because the normal batter has egg in it.

Now with my baby I avoid milk, soy, and peanuts. I never thought that I would be able to eat Chinese food while avoiding soy....but there were some options. I had spring rolls and Philip's better lemon chicken.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really helpful. I went to PF Chang's recently and didn't know what to order. My son has dairy, egg and soy allergies. I ordered the sesame chicken and he seemed to have an allergic reaction. I will try the lemon chicken next time.

Maleah said...

Thank you for the comment. I have found that the wait staff, managers, and chefs at PF Chang's are very knowledgeable and very helpful. I always say that I have food allergy (easier to explain that the whole breastfeeding a food allergy baby explanation). Each time someone has gone over the menu with me and pointed out options.